[Rd] Dynamic list creation (SEXP in C) returns error "unimplemented type (29) in 'duplicate'"

George Vega Yon g.vegayon at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 22:56:13 CET 2013

Gabriel,

While the length (in terms of number of SEXP elements it stores) of L1
doesn't changes, the vectors within L1 do (sorry if I didn't explained
it well before).

The post was about a SEXP object that grows, in my case, every pair of
vectors in L1 (id and lambda) can change lengths, this is why I need
to reprotect them. I populate the i-th element of L1 by creating the
vectors "id" and "lambda", setting the length of these according to
some rule (that's the part where lengths change)... here is a reduced
form of my code:

//////////////////////////////////////// C
////////////////////////////////////////
const int = length(L0);
SEXP L1;
PROTECT(L1 = allocVector(VECSXP,n));
SEXP id, lambda;

// Fixing size
for(i=0;i<n;i++)
  SET_VECTOR_ELT(L1, i, allocVector(VECSXP, 2));

for(i=0;i<n;i++)
{
  // Creating the "id" and "lambda" vectors. I do this in every repetition of
  // the loop.
  PROTECT_WITH_INDEX(id=allocVector(INTSXP, 4), &ipx0);
  PROTECT_WITH_INDEX(lambda=allocVector(REALSXP, 4), &ipx1);

  // ... Some other instructions where I set the value of an integer
  // z, which tells how much do the vectors have to grow ...

  REPROTECT(SET_LENGTH(id,    length(lambda) + z), ipx0);
  REPROTECT(SET_LENGTH(lambda,length(lambda) + z), ipx1);

  // ... some lines where I fill the vectors ...

  // Storing the new vectors at the i-th element of the list
  SET_VECTOR_ELT(VECTOR_ELT(L1, i), 0, duplicate(id));
  SET_VECTOR_ELT(VECTOR_ELT(L1, i), 1, duplicate(lambda));

  // Unprotecting the "id" and "lambda" vectors
  UNPROTECT(2);
}

UNPROTECT(1);

return L1;

I can't set the length from the start because every pair of vectors in
L1 have different lengths, lengths that I cannot tell before starting
the loop.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

George Vega Yon