[Rd] WISHLIST: on.exit(..., add=TRUE, where="first") to address common use cases

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Mon Nov 4 01:31:42 CET 2013

I used to worry about the order of evaluation of on.exit expressions and
thought that maybe we needed named on.exit expression so you could
remove particular on.exit expressions.  However,  now I think I can almost always
avoid such considerations and make code clearer by making a new function call,
often involving a lazily evaluated expression, whenever I need a new on.exit
expression.   E.g., instead of
    f0 <- function(x, y) {
        oldWarn <- options(warn=0)
        on.exit(oldWarn)
        oldMar <- par(rep(2,4))
        on.exit(par(oldMar))
        plot(log(x), y)
    }
use
    f1 <- function(x, y) {
        suppressWarnings(
            withPar(list(mar=rep(2,4)),
                           plot(log(x), y)
            )
        )
    }
suppressWarnings already exists and withPar could be
    withPar <- function(parList, expr) {
        oldPars <- par(parList)
        on.exit(par(oldPars))
        expr