[Rd] Substitute / delayedAssign (was: Substitute unaware when promise objects are evaluated)

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri May 17 12:24:20 CEST 2013

On May 16, 2013, at 15:06 , McGehee, Robert wrote:

> Duncan, Thank you for the clarification on how delayedAssign works. Should R-level interfaces to promise objects ever become available, I expect they would at time come in handy.
>
> On the subject of substitute and delayedAssign, I do have a follow-up question for the list. I'm trying to convert a named list of expression objects into an environment of promise objects. After conversion, each expression in the list will be automatically evaluated when the variable with the same name is accessed in the environment. Effectively, I'm trying to create a hash table of promise objects.
>
> Here's the code I wrote that works just fine.
>
> x <- list(a=3, b=expression(a+2), sleep=expression(Sys.sleep(2)))
> env <- new.env()
> for (i in seq(x)) {
> 	key <- names(x)[i]
> 	.Internal(delayedAssign(key,
> 				   eval(substitute(x[[i]], list(x=x, i=i)))[[1]],
> 				   eval.env=env, assign.env=env))
> }
> env$b     # 3+2
> [1] 5
> env$sleep # Sleeps for 2 seconds
> NULL
>
> The "problem" is that R CMD check complains that I shouldn't be using .Internal() to access the delayedAssign function. However, if I don't use .Internal(), then delayedAssign puts another substitute around my call that prevents the 'i' iterator variable from being evaluated at the correct time, which causes all variables to get the value x[[i]] for the very last value of 'i'.
>
> Can I safely ignore this R CMD check warning about .Internal, or is there a better way to write this code?

These things are slippery, but the usual way out is to figure out exactly which expression you want to call, compute the expression unevaluated, and evaulate it.

Something like

e <- bquote(delayedAssign( .(names(x)[i]), .(x[[i]]), eval.env=env, assign.env=env))
print(e)
eval(e)

(of course remove the print(e) once you're sure that it is doing the right thing)