[Rd] sysdata.rda vs. rda files in data directory

Ulrike Grömping groemping at bht-berlin.de
Wed Mar 27 22:13:40 CET 2013

Dear all,

for everybody's benefit, here is a brief summary of what I learnt from Uwe
Ligges. There is a convincing reason against combining a data directory with
a datalist file only (the way for retrieving a list of the data available
without the package loaded) with a sysdata.rda file in the R directory (the
only way for achieving a small installed size): the command data(filename)
will not work on the names listed in the datalist file (I thought
otherwise), which would be sort of odd and unexpected. Therefore, I will go
for the small installed size (=sysdata.rda file) without a data directory.

Best, Ulrike