[Rd] Depreciating partial matching

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Thu Mar 21 16:34:05 CET 2013

On 03/21/2013 10:00 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>>> I would think that the ability to hit the Tab key to trigger name

>> >  Good point.  This works well at the command line.  However, not when interacting between emacs and R in the way I do.  For reproducability I use and emacs file that is being corrected and massaged with chunks submitted to R; at the end I have a clean record of how the result was obtained.
>> >
> If this is really true (that ESS doesn't complete in R files) then this seems more like a bug (or wish?) report for ESS - other editors correctly support code completion in R documents - after all this is a feature of R, so they don't need to re-invent the wheel.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
If you are running the R process inside ESS then there is matching -- it is R.  Doing
this, keeping a log file, and then post-hoc cleaning up all the cruft from that file is
one way to keep documentation.  But since for my analyses the number of models/plots/etc
that turn out to be detours or dead ends on the way to a solution is larger than the
worthwhile part (typos alone are lots larger) I prefer to keep the file(s) as their own
buffers and submit bits of them to an R process either by cut-paste to a separate window
or ess-submit to an inferior process.  Emacs can't do name completion in that case.  Nor
could it do so in an Sweave file, unless you were to keep a live R process in hand to
pre-test chunks as you wrote them.  (One could reasonably argue that when one gets the
Sweave stage the names should be expanded.)

To summarize: my own interactive mix of emacs/R may be unusual.  For pure interactive
folks completion does most of the work.  I hadn't tried the newest ESS
interactive-within-emacs till today, it's slick as well.  The number of people howling
will be less than my original thought, though not zero.

   Still, this change could cause a lot of grief for saved R scripts.  In our group the
code + data directory is archived whenever a medical paper is submitted (close to
500/year), and it is very common to pull one back as is 1-4 years later for further
exploration.  A very small subset of those are in a legal context where exact
reproducability is paramount.