[Rd] the case of building R snapshot without svn nor network connection.

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 19 17:25:54 CET 2013

    > On Mar 16, 2013, at 10:13 AM, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
    >> Network access is *not* a given, nor is the privilege of
    >> installing arbitrary "uncertified" and "non-essential"
    >> tools - whatever the meaning of "uncertified" and
    >> "non-essential" are, those being defined, as is "design
    >> goal", etc, by some small committee.
    >>
    >> It is a very common scenario, e.g. banks & telecom, some
    >> part of public/government service and health care. This
    >> does not seem to sink in without repeating.
    >>

    > Network access is not needed to build R - apparently that
    > fact did not seem to sink in, either. This entire thread
    > is based on false assumptions and as such the only place
    > for it is /dev/null

Indeed!

Hin-Tak, do you really think that we, R core, would cripple
ourselves in such a way ??
I bet that almost all of us build R (from svn) without internet
connection many times a year.

But we do follow the build presciptions (*) which you have taken
enormous lengths *not* to go along with.

Martin

---
(*) builddir != srcdir