[Rd] compiling C code using headers from another R package

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Mar 12 22:14:20 CET 2013

On 12 March 2013 at 13:56, Hervé Pagès wrote:
| The reason I'm interested in clarifying this is that we are facing
| a similar situation with other libraries (e.g. the BOOST library)
| used by some Bioconductor packages. Right now, each Bioconductor
| package includes its own version of the BOOST source code, which
| is of course less than optimal. Ideally we'd want to wrap the BOOST
| source (or a subset of it, it's huge!) in something like an rBOOST
| package and use a setup similar to what I describe above for RGSL
| (i.e. using LinkingTo). Are there better ways? Is there something
| like an RcppBOOST package? Sounds like, like for the GSL, it would
| be better to install the static BOOST libs on the build machine and
| have client packages link against that (but that also means more
| complexity in the client packages since they need a configure script).

Are you aware of the BH package on r-forge and now in CRAN?

It provides Boost __headers__ which is enough for purely template-based
packages.  The bigmemory packages already uses it, and we are collecting
a few 'issue tickets' at the R-Forge page to see which other (CRAN) packages
could use which other Boost packages.  Again, this works for _template_ based
Boost library and excludes eg Boost regex which needs linking.  So this may
not help you if not to also link to Boost Graph.

Dirk