[Rd] Submitting packages with weak circular dependencies to CRAN.

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Sat Mar 9 10:02:52 CET 2013

Hi Pavel,

On 03/08/2013 04:42 PM, Pavel N. Krivitsky wrote:
> Hello, R-devel,
>
> I am planning to submit two packages, A and B, to CRAN. Package B uses
> an API exported by package A, while package A uses package B to test the
> API in question. Thus, package B Depends on, and Enhances, A, and A
> Suggests B.
>
> Could I get some guidance on submitting them to CRAN? A cannot be
> checked without B, but B cannot be installed without A.

The CRAN people will probably have a better solution to offer but the
following 3-step procedure should work, at least in theory:

- First submit a degraded version of A i.e. a version that doesn't
   suggest B and where all the tests using B are turned off.

- Then submit B.

- Then submit the full version of A with a higher version.

Or, merge A and B in a single package...

Cheers,
H.

>                      Thanks in advance,
>                      Pavel Krivitsky