[Rd] Printing warning messages around R_tryEval

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Mar 6 13:12:00 CET 2013

Hi!

In RKWard we use R_tryEval() at a number places to run R commands. In order to
make sure that any generated warnings become visible close to the problem, we
were following up (most of) these calls with Rf_PrintWarnings().

Rf_PrintWarnings() was never available in the headers (as far as I know), and
in r61771 the symbol has been hidden from libR.so. So this solution is no
longer available. Could you give advice on the best way to print warnings
before returning to the top level?

Some available options, I am aware of:
1. Call R function warnings(). However, this will always print the latest
warning, even if it was generate by some earlier command. I would need a way
to print new warnings, only.

2. Use options(warn=1) where applicable. However, in some cases, collecting
warnings until some procedure is complete, and printing them then, would be
preferrable.

3. I see there is an internal call printDeferredWarnings(), which seems to be
almost exactly what I want. However, using an .Internal() does not look like a
terribly stable solution, either. Also, having direct access to a similar
function from the C-API would be very comfortable.

Thanks!
Thomas