[Rd] pretty eerie feeling: Google "down", Twitter "down", R sites up

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 27 18:56:48 CEST 2013

    > On Jun 27, 2013, at 10:32 AM, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

    >> Maybe this is just from inside ETH Zurich,
    >> but I haven't seen this before in many years:
    >> for > 15 minutes now, for me and at least someone else here,
    >>
    >> - Google (incl. Gmail, calendar..) is entirely unreachable
    >> - Twitter is "connecting" and is not reached (in the browser),
    >>
    >> - three major Swiss news(paper) websites (20min, TA, NZZ) are out
    >> of reach,
    >>
    >> but  "of course" the ETH web sites are fine for me (but I'm inside ETH)
    >> and notably,
    >>
    >> www.r-project.org ,
    >> bugs.r-project.org,
    >> cran.r-project.org
    >> developer.r-project.org
    >> svn.r-project.org
    >>
    >> are all fine and up... an eerie feeling indeed.
    >>
    >> Martin

    > Martin,

    > No problems for me accessing either Google or Twitter. The Twitter Status page:

    > http://twitterstatus.tumblr.com/
    > is not showing anything nor is the Twitter Support account:

    > https://twitter.com/Support

they (and google and all the rest) came up quickly after I sent
the message.
But note that  e.g. developer.* and  bugs.* are also US-hosted
and were quickly accessible at the same time could not even
access some Swiss sites.

    > That being said, I just got your post, almost an hour after you sent it...according to the e-mail headers, the bulk of the delay was within the ETHZ domain, between phil2.ethz.ch and hypatia.math.ethz.ch.

yes, and that is only indirectly related,...
The mail / mailman list processing sometimes gets bogged down a
bit, as we've seen before.

    > Regards,
    > Marc

Thank you, Marc, for your reassuring reply.
Consider this thread as a ``peculiar Thursday evening coincidence''
that really should not bother anyone reading R-devel..

Martin