[Rd] What algorithm is R using to calculate mean?

Prof J C Nash (U30A) nashjc at uottawa.ca
Sat Jul 27 16:35:26 CEST 2013

There is quite a literature on related methods for variance. If anyone
is interested, I did some work (and even published the code in the
magazine Interface Age in 1981) on some of these. I could probably put
together scans of relevant materials, some of which are not easily
available. It would make a good Master's or senior undergrad project,
and could be (possibly has been) extended to compute covariance matrices
properly for very large data sets and streaming data.

JN