[Rd] R CMD INSTALL and file permission settings

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jul 10 07:15:13 CEST 2013

Hi Dan,

On 9 July 2013 at 19:52, Dan Tenenbaum wrote:
| Picking up a somewhat old thread...what is the final status of this?

In r-patched and r-devel, check the NEWS file.

| It doesn't look like an option was added to control the permissions of
| installed package files.
| It also seems that the --group-writable option to R CMD INSTALL is not
| present in R-3.0.1.
|
| So are we back to where we started?
|
| FWIW, I'd prefer a solution that respects the umask and is honored in
| install.packages(), update.packages(), etc. In my use case users will

We have something which is (in the eyes of all who played along here) better
and simpler.  Instead of passing an explicit option down (which has to cope
with the different entry paths for this), the install function now checks for
group-write mode of the target target directory. If present, the installation
will use group-write too on file and its new directories.  Easier, and quite
elegant.  Have a go and see if it fits your bill -- no umask fiddling, no
teaching all users to change habits, no inotify.

Dirk