[Rd] should the text for RIGHT_ASSIGN be -> in getParseData()?

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 20:24:33 CEST 2013

On Jul 5, 2013, at 18:59 , William Dunlap wrote:

>> Is there any reason right-assign with "->" still exists? How much
>> code on CRAN uses it, and how trivially could it be excised?
>
> I use '->' a lot when doing interactive work.  I often first run a command
> to see its printed output then decide that I had better save its value.
> The up-arrow key gives me the previous command line with the cursor placed at the
> end of the line so adding '-> z' at the end of the line is convenient.
> (Not using the up-arrow key and doing 'z <- .Last.value' also works, but
> I don't like its context sensitivity.)

But up-arrow, ctrl-A then "z <-" is not much less convenient, is it?

I have used in with multi-line input, occasionally, though. As in

replicate(10000, {
   ysim <- rbinom(length(p), n, p)
   glm(cbind(ysim, n - ysim) ~ x, binomial)$deviance
})

... and then you realize that you probably don't want to look at 10000 simulated deviances and add "-> simDev".