[Rd] Ctrl+C in R will terminate the child process which is spawned by using "pipe"

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jul 2 18:13:23 CEST 2013

On Jul 2, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Rong lI Li wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I pressed Ctrl+C in R process, and found that the child process which was
> spawned by using "pipe" is terminated due to this.
> Are there any way to work around it, so that the child process can run
> happily without being terminated? Or can we block the signal for the child
> process?

Yes, simply handle the INT signal in your C++ process and do what you deem appropriate (which does include the option of doing nothing / ignoring).

Other option is to do a double-fork ( fork -> if (fork()) exit) so you disassociate the child from the parent group or to possibly use setsid(), both as to not share the terminal with the parent.

Cheers,
Simon