[Rd] Declaring/importing non-exported functions [car] in another package

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jan 16 18:26:52 CET 2013

Dear Duncan and Michael,

My initial reaction is that I'd rather not export these functions from the car package since the package already has many exported functions and the functions in question perform low-level operations that won't be of interest to end users. I recognize, however, the functions (and possibly some others) may be useful in other packages, such as heplots, so I'll think about this some more.

Following up on Michael's subsequent message in this thread, I find the current text in Sec. 1.6.1 ("Specifying imports and exports") of Writing R Extensions reasonably clear.

Best,
 John