[Rd] Who does develop the R core and libs, and how / where is it hosted?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jan 15 02:04:13 CET 2013

On Jan 14, 2013, at 7:55 PM, Oliver Bandel wrote:

> Am 15.01.2013 um 01:11 schrieb Brian Lee Yung Rowe <rowe at muxspace.com>:
>

>> On Jan 14, 2013, at 6:32 PM, oliver <oliver at first.in-berlin.de> wrote:
>>
>>> BTW: I looked up the string "wish list" in some of the mentioned docs (mentioned in this thread)
>>>     but did not found it.
>>>     Can you please point me to it directly?
>>>     Googling for "R wish list" brings me links to a producer of toys.
>>>
>>>     Or did you mean I should ask R users for their wishes??!
>>>
>>>     (Some R users - on this list - asked for Julia language as a speedup alternative for R a while ago…)
>>
>> Is this what you're looking for: http://developer.r-project.org/ (see TODO lists)
>
> Ah, yes,there are TODO lists, thanks.
>
> This is at least some kind of thing yi was looking for.
> But these are personell TODO lists.
> Are their any goals for R as whole project?
>

>>> All in all it seems like no special things need to be done.
>>> The FSF for example has a page where they ask for support in certain areas,
>>> so, this looks rather urgent.
>>> R seems not to have such urgent needs for support....
>>
>> How about cleaning up some of the documentation/wiki pages?
>
> I'm not a friend of seperating design, coding, documentation, ...
>
> IMHO this should be something that is not seperated.
> And I also think, that the way, R packages will be written
> (code as well as documentation together) uses the same
> kind of philosophy.
> I was very happy about this close relation between code and
> documentation,mthat is necessary to wrte a package.
>
> I thought the same holds true for R project as a whole.
> So I maybe was wrong with this assumption.

Actually, it does hold true - all R documentation is part of the R sources.

Maybe it's a sign of a relative maturity of R that we don't have a particular "milestone"-like agenda. Typically, most things can be supplied as packages - the only reason to touch the core of R itself is if it is something that cannot be done as a package, and given R's modularity that is fortunately not very often the case.

Cheers,
Simon