[Rd] .print.via.format not found when building r61617?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 21:11:53 CET 2013

On 13-01-11 12:59 PM, Ben Bolker wrote:
>   I wouldn't be at all surprised if I turned out to be doing something
> boneheaded, but I've *tried* to follow all the relevant rules ...
> Based on a clean SVN checkout of R-devel r61617, building in a
> separate directory, I end up with
>
> Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : object '.print.via.format' not found
>
>   Has anyone encountered this or does anyone have any further
> clues/diagnostic hints?  I found .print.via.format defined in the
> middle of src/library/tools/all.R , and in the source in
> src/library/tools/R/QC.R, and I see that it was added in r61322
> (2012-12-14); is there anything else I can try?
>
>   Ben Bolker

  PS: I did successfully build R by reverting to r61321.  I'm not sure I
have the time and energy to do the full binary search between r61321 and
r61617 [8 steps, rebuilding R each time] to see where it breaks.  I need
to try to get up to r61589 or thereabouts, which is the version in which
the tests of my package broke on the CRAN check ...

  I may yet try: (1) configuring without --enable-R-shlib (I can't see
why that would be relevant here, but it is something I'm doing that's
slightly "non-standard" that therefore might have been missed by
others); (2) updating to r61322 or 61323 and seeing if the breakage
happens right there (although it's possible that something was broken in
61322 and fixed for everyone else thereafter, and the problem is still
my fault -- I don't see anything obvious to that effect in the SVN log,
but I could have missed it ...)