[Rd] weird bug with parallel, RSQlite and tcltk

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 14:20:31 CET 2013

On Jan 3, 2013, at 13:13 , Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On 03/01/2013 11:42, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 13-01-03 6:20 AM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>> [snipped]

>> I think it's unlikely that we will upgrade.  The binaries available at
>> that link do not have a license that would allow distribution with R,
>> and we no longer have the facilities (specific compiler, time, etc.) to
>> compile it ourselves.  I haven't tried myself, but my understanding is
>> that the sources are not compatible with our compiler suite.
>
> More specifically, when last checked the sources do compile but do not work when loaded into R as memory gets corrupted.
>
> Note that the version of Tcl/Tk made available for the CRAN Mac binary is older than that for Windows.

Of course anyone is welcome to try their hand at getting Tcl/Tk to build properly with the R compiler suite. And/or dig into what might be getting in the way. Or, for that matter, build against the ActiveTcl binaries; it is only redistribution that is disallowed --- it is Free as in Beer, but not as in Speech.

(Looks like MacPorts moved to Tcl/Tk 8.6. I'll see if it works with their R port.)

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com