[Rd] weird bug with parallel, RSQlite and tcltk

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 12:20:38 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 5:59 AM, peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2013, at 10:32 , Karl Forner wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The point is that I do not use tcltk, it gets loaded probably as a
>> dependency of a dependency of a package.
>> When I unload it all work perfectly fine. I just found it because one
>> of my computer did not have tk8.5 installed, and did not exhibit the
>> mentioned bug. So I really think something should be done about this.
>> Maybe the "gui loop" should not be run a the the loading of the tcltk
>> package, but
>> at the first function ran, or something like this.
>
> Doesn't sound doable. It would be tricky to do and wouldn't help in the cases where people actually want to use the GUI - plus, it would leave a time bomb if you directly or indirectly fire up a Tk window (say, the CRAN menu from install.packages()).

Would it be possible to separate the tk and tcl portions of tcltk into
two packages so that the tcltk package would be dependent on a new tcl
package ?  From the viewpoint of a user of tcltk there would be no
change but it would allow packages that only use tcl to declare a
dependency only on that.

By the way, tcl/tk 8.6 was released about 10 days ago with a ton of
attractive new features and it would be nice to have it in the R
windows build:
http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.6.html