[Rd] Matrix does not build with R trunk since Oct.

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Feb 16 21:15:03 CET 2013

On Feb 15, 2013, at 6:13 PM, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

> FWIW, extracting snapshot source elsewhere outside svn, run "tools/rsync-recommended" then just plain "./configure && make" doesn't work either. Nothing to do with building inside checkout nor extra configure options.

Can you define "extracting snapshot source elsewhere outside svn"? That is likely the crucial point. If you mean that you used "svn checkout" on one machine, copied the content to another machine which does *not* have svn and then built there -- then this is unsupported and it has never been supported (depending on the R version it would either break or report invalid svn rev in R.version). You can *only* build from the svn sources if you have svn installed on the machine (equally, you cannot use svn export - see R-admin 1.2.1). You can only proceed on a machine without svn if you first create a distribution tar ball (e.g., via make dist) on the machine with svn and then use that tar ball on another machine (this is how R snapshots work).

> This is fedora 18, x86_64.

I checked on Fedora 18 and it works just fine using

svn co https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk R-devel
cd R-devel/
tools/rsync-recommended
./configure