[Rd] Regression stars

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 16:12:52 CET 2013

On 13/02/2013 8:40 AM, Charles Geyer wrote:
> Please do not change the defaults for the show.signif.stars option or for
> the default.stringsAsFactors option.  Backward compatibility is more
> important than your convenience.  The same sort of argument could be made
> for changing the default of the "[" function from drop = TRUE to drop =
> FALSE.  It would lead to less gotchas when coding and make R a saner
> programming language (less infernoish), but would annoy and confuse
> ordinary users and is not "the R way".

That is something that might improve the language, but it would be far
more disruptive than either of the other two changes.  It's a matter of
balance.  In my judgment its cost would greatly exceed its benefit.  In
the case of stringsAsFactors, I think the benefits would exceed the
costs.    In the case of the stars, I think both costs and benefits are
negligible.  I think "the R way" is this kind of balance, with a fairly
strong conservative tilt.  Due to the conservatism, I'm not planning to
make the stringsAsFactors change for everybody, but I have made an
effort to make it easier to make the change individually via the
option() setting.

Duncan Murdoch