[Rd] Regression stars

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 21:37:23 CET 2013

On 13-02-09 3:49 PM, Tim Triche, Jr. wrote:
> To clarify, I favor changing the defaults for stringsAsFactors and
> show.signif.stars to FALSE in R-3.0.0, and view any attempt to remove
> either functionality as a seemingly simple but fundamentally misguided idea.

Both of these were discussed by R Core.  I think it's unlikely the
default for stringsAsFactors will be changed (some R Core members like
the current behaviour), but it's fairly likely the show.signif.stars
default will change.  (That's if someone gets around to it:  I
personally don't care about that one.  P-values are commonly used
statistics, and the stars are just a simple graphical display of them.
I find some p-values to be useful, and the display to be harmless.)

I think it's really unlikely the more extreme changes (i.e. dropping
show.signif.stars completely, or dropping p-values) will happen.

Regarding stringsAsFactors:  I'm not going to defend keeping it as is,
I'll let the people who like it defend it.  What I will likely do is
make a few changes so that character vectors are automatically changed
to factors in modelling functions, so that operating with
stringsAsFactors=FALSE doesn't trigger silly warnings.

Duncan Murdoch