[Rd] Regression stars

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Sat Feb 9 19:48:01 CET 2013

Thanks for bringing this up, Frank.

Since many of us are "educators," I'd like to suggest a bolder approach.
Discontinue even offering the stars as an option.  Sadly, we can't stop
reporting p-values, as the world expects them, but does R need to cater
to that attitude by offering star display?  For that matter, why not
have R report confidence intervals as a default?

Many years ago, I wrote a short textbook on stat, and included a
substantial section on the dangers of significance testing.  All three
internal reviewers liked it, but the funny part is that all three said,
"I agree with this, but no one else will." :-)

Norm