[Rd] Error building R from SVN - unable to run 'pdflatex' on 'example-1.tex'

Jonathon Love jon at thon.cc
Mon Feb 4 15:27:30 CET 2013

On 04/02/13 23:47, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
 > Probably, but if you want help you're going to need to give some more
 > information first, such as what exactly you installed from SVN, what OS
 > you are using, what target you tried to build, and anything else
 > necessary so that a potential helper can duplicate what you did.

my bad. sorry.

on ubuntu 12.10 i did a checkout of the 2.15.2 tag

https://svn.r-project.org/R/tags/R-2-15-2

next i ran the tools/rsync-recommended script

then i ran:

./configure

(it did give me these warnings)
configure: WARNING: you cannot build info or HTML versions of the R manuals
configure: WARNING: inconsolata.sty not found: PDF vignettes and package
manuals will not be rendered optimally

then i ran:

make

giving me the error:

building/updating vignettes for package 'utils' ...
processing 'Sweave.Rnw'
Error: running Sweave on vignette
'/home/jonathon/projects/R/src/library/utils/vignettes/Sweave.Rnw'
failed with message:
  chunk 2
Error in texi2dvi(file = file, pdf = TRUE, clean = clean, quiet = quiet,  :
   unable to run 'pdflatex' on 'example-1.tex'
Execution halted
make[1]: *** [vignettes] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jonathon/projects/R/src/library'
make: *** [vignettes] Error 2

other things that may be helpful:

gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.2-2ubuntu1) 4.7.2
pdfTeX 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Debian)

The problem seems to be with building vignette's for the recommended
packages. Any assistance would be appreciated.

with thanks

Jonathon Love