[Rd] Symlinks when building R on windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 14:13:39 CET 2013

On 13-12-18 5:24 AM, Olivier BARTHELEMY wrote:
> I think this is more suited for the devel mailing list than the help one.
>
> I'm trying to build R on windows, With Rtools installed, and configure/make
> in R-3.0.2 sources folder from a cygwin console.

This doesn't sound like a good idea.  The Rtools are set up for native
Windows builds.  If you run configure yourself, you'll be targeting a
Cygwin build -- but that's something we don't support.

What you should do is follow the instructions for native Windows builds
that are given in chapter 3 of the Installation and Administration
manual.  In particular, *do not* run configure.

If you do choose to create a Cygwin build, please make sure it passes
the tests before you use it.  I haven't seen one that does.

Duncan Murdoch