[Rd] legitimate use of :::

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 02:19:45 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Gabriel Becker <gmbecker at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> My understanding is that lookup happens in the imports before moving on to
> the search path,  so if I understand you correctly I don't think that is an
> issue. If A also *exported* f, that would be a problem...

A can only import f from B if f has been exported from B so while its
not a problem for A, whenever anyone issues a library(B) f will be
visible on the
search path -- the problem of potential conflicts with f remains.

B really only exported f so that A could import it but a side effect
of that is that
anyone who puts B on the search path makes f visible.