[Rd] Inconsistency between eval and withVisible (with patch)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Aug 15 14:59:35 CEST 2013

On Aug 15, 2013, at 3:06 AM, Gabriel Becker wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Peter Meilstrup <peter.meilstrup at gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> I agree that the present behavior of withVisible is the Right Thing, but
>> the documentation is confusing. The documentation claims that withVisible
>> "evaluates an expression."
>>
>> This may capture an inside view of how the .Internal function is
>> implemented, but is nonsense from the R user's standpoint, where
>> "expression" is a particular type of R object and "evaluate an expression"
>> means to do something like eval().
>>

> And particularly, if you pass withVisible a variable containing an
> expression, said expression is not evaluated. The expression/symbol
> pointing to the object where it is stored is, I know, but the expression
> itself is not.
>
> Furthermore, the exact same language ("evaluate an expression") appears in
> the eval documentation, and that function DOES evaluate the actual
> expression. Thus my (apparently incorrect) assumption that they should have
> the same behavior.

I think the confusion comes from the misunderstanding of what gets evaluated when. The simplest way to explain is that withVisible() is equivalent to evalq(), but you're thinking of eval() which does two evaluations (the argument is evaluated and then the value of the argument is evaluated). Note that this is documented very explicitly:

"eval’ evaluates its first argument in the current scope before passing it to the evaluator"

whereas withVisible only does the first part:

"The argument is evaluated in the caller's context."

Cheers,
Simon