[Rd] [R] Internalization of help pages

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Tue Aug 6 06:03:44 CEST 2013

On 08/06/2013 12:12 AM, Tomáš Greif wrote:
> My original idea was to start translating Rd files directly. It looks
> easy to just skip all the tags and translate rest (but maybe I'm wrong
> on this). I'm sure we can figure out better ways to do this later.
That was essentially the way I did the translation. I was thinking more
of a distributed solution, with either package maintainers or foreign
language R groups (or both) creating packages with non-English help
files that could be downloaded from non-CRAN sites. The Babel problem
has flung many an open source project into a tar pit of ever-expanding
dimensions.

I liked the following:

>     However, getting all the R documentation translated is probably easier
>     than getting everyone to speak english - we started trying to do that
>     in the 18th century and look how that turned out...
>
>     Barry

but maybe getting most of the people to speak English all of the time
(pace Abraham Lincoln) remains the optimal solution.

Jim