[Rd] Patch proposal for R style consistency (concerning deparse.c)

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu Apr 25 02:08:32 CEST 2013

On 04/18/2013 11:41 AM, Yihui Xie wrote:
> I second the change of "} else {".

Me too. Note that print.function() will screw it only if you use
useSource=FALSE:

   > print.function(foo3, useSource=FALSE)
   function ()
   {
     if (FALSE) {
         letters
     }
     else {
         LETTERS
     }
   }

Otherwise, everything is fine:

   > print.function(foo3)
   function()
   {
     if (FALSE) {
         letters  # some comment
     } else {
         LETTERS
     }
   }

I can't see of any reason why useSource=FALSE would screw my nicely
formatted 'if' statement though. This formatting is ugly, unnecessarily
uses 1 more line, and the 'if' statement cannot be copy/pasted into an
interactive session anymore. So, in a way, you could even consider
this is invalid code.

Thanks,
H.

> Regards,
> Yihui
> --
> Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>
> Phone: 515-294-2465 Web: http://yihui.name
> Department of Statistics, Iowa State University
> 2215 Snedecor Hall, Ames, IA
>

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK, I concede that.
>>
>> Now, how about "} else {"
>>
>> I will provide patch that does only that change.
>> ?

>>> Wrong. They are part of language constructs (and they _are_ keywords, not names, that's why ?for won't work). The function calls are `if`(fee, {foo}, {fie}) and something rebarbative for `for`(....).
>>>
>>> Besides, both constructs are harder to read without the spaces.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter Dalgaard, Professor
>>> Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
>>> Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
>>> Phone: (+45)38153501
>>> Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com
>>>

>> --
>> Paul E. Johnson
>> Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director
>> 1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504      Center for Research Methods
>> University of Kansas                 University of Kansas
>> http://pj.freefaculty.org               http://quant.ku.edu

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences