[Rd] R package with Java source code

Adrian Trapletti adrian at trapletti.org
Tue Apr 16 17:35:36 CEST 2013

On 04/16/2013 04:42 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2013, at 9:56 AM, Adrian Trapletti wrote:
>
>> I don't really like the approach which ship the redundant jar files unless it is a "precompiled binary" distribution of a package.
>>
> What do you mean by "redundant"?
jars are often not under version control because of their redundancy and
all the resulting problems.
> Your package won't work without them ...
:-) yes, I know this (> 20 years of experience with Java, slightly less
with R).

>> In the meantime I found the following suggestion http://romainfrancois.blog.free.fr/index.php?post/2009/03/26/Hello-Java-World which is close to what I was thinking of.
>>
> Well, that's in essence what has been suggested. The point is that *you* have to run build before you publish the package to create the jar file, it can't be done at install time for reasons explained.

My question was not very precise. In fact I wanted to ask about Java
source code compilation during the build step.

Best regards
Adrian