[Rd] package file permissions problem R 3.0.0/Windows OS

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 15 07:56:26 CEST 2013

POSIX-style execute permission isn't a Windows concept, so it was
fortuitous this ever worked.  One possibility is that Cygwin was
involved, and a Cygwin emulation got set when tar unpacked the file and
converted back to the tar representation when Cygwin tar produced the
tarball. (The tar in Rtools is a fixed version of Cygwin tar, fixed to
use Windows file paths.)

What are those screen shots of?

R 2.5.2 was a very long time ago.  A recent change is

     • R CMD build by default uses the internal method of tar() to
       prepare the tarball.  This is more likely to produce a tarball
       compatible with R CMD INSTALL and R CMD check: an external tar
       program, including options, can be specified _via_ the
       environment variable R_BUILD_TAR.

Can you try using an external tar?  (Using the internal tar on Windows
was first trialled in 2.15.3.)