[Rd] Risk of readRDS() not detecting race conditions with parallel saveRDS()?

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Sat Sep 15 21:44:13 CEST 2012

Why not write the RDS file more atomically - write it to a
temporary file and rename that file to its final name when
it is completely written?  E.g.,

saveRDS.atomically
function (object, file, ...)
{
    tfile <- tempfile(basename(file), dirname(file))
    on.exit(if (file.exists(tfile)) unlink(tfile))
    retval <- saveRDS(object, tfile, ...)
    if (!file.rename(tfile, file)) { # perhaps want an if(file.exists(file))unlink(file) first
        stop("Cannot rename temporary file ", tfile, " to ",
            file)
    }
    invisible(retval)
}

(The file.rename may be tripped up by an overeager virus checker looking
at the newly created tfile.  I don't know the best way to deal with that.)

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com