[Rd] Advice on Namespaces

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Sep 10 18:11:28 CEST 2012

Hi Folks:

I'm writing a little package that may not ever hit CRAN or even be
distributed beyond a relatively narrow audience at my company.
Nevertheless, I have tried to adhere to practices that would work if
it were. With that in mind, I have read the Writing R Extensions
Manual (and my humble kudos to its writers, as it has  successfully
guided even an ignoramus like myself ) and Luke Tierney's R Newsletter
documentation on Namespaces. However, it is still not clear to me (see
above ignoramus comment!) what functions -- and especially which S3
methods whose generics I define in my package -- should be exported
and which should not. Perusing other packages also didn't reveal any
clear patterns from which I could infer best practice.

So may I ask for advice or any references that would provide such
guidelines. Feel free to keep replies private if this query in not
appropriate for this list. Many thanks.

Cheers,
Bert

--