[Rd] if(--as-cran)?

Warnes, Gregory gregory.warnes at novartis.com
Tue Sep 4 22:53:54 CEST 2012

On 9/4/12 3:58 PM, "Duncan Murdoch" <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 04/09/2012 3:44 PM, Terry Therneau wrote:
>>ly in

>>be the
>>level
>>>> >>

>>[snip]

>The testingLevel() function is supposed to be a way to know that a
>certain level of testing is being done, to allow such tailoring.
>However, I don't think it's practical.  I think you can ask whether a
>specific test is being run (my "D" %in% tests() example), but you can't
>reasonably convert the set of tests chosen by a tester into a single
>number.
>
>What I think you and Greg are talking about is something different. You
>are asking that we set up more suites of tests, corresponding to
>numerical levels.  Currently we have two suites:  the default, and the
>--as-cran suite.  But we also have completely customized suites, set by
>users who want to check specific things.  They can do that the way you
>do (by calling the tests explicitly), or by setting environment
>variables (as described in the Tools chapter of the R Internals manual).

No!  We're not asking for the r-core to create more test suites, or even
to do anything different based on the test intensity level.

We're just asking for a standard way to control the intensity of the tests
*we* write to prevent us from duplicating this functionality in our own
packages, probably in incompatible ways.

-Greg