[Rd] if(--as-cran)?

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Sep 4 14:20:49 CEST 2012

On 09/04/2012 05:00 AM, r-devel-request at r-project.org wrote:
> The issue is not just about "CRAN" vs "off CRAN".
> It is good to think about a more general scheme of
> "light testing" vs "normal testing" vs "extensive testing",
> e.g.,  for the situation where the package implements
> (simulation/bootstrap/ ..) based inference, and the developer
> (but not only) should be able to run the extensive tests.
>
> Martin

I agree with Martin.  A mechanism to specify testing level would be the best.
Then CRAN can choose to set that variable to "3" say, with level 1 for extensive and 2 for
usual.
   I'm quite willing to put up with the nuisance of print() enclosures.  I prefer it to
having yet another way to subvert the evaluation model.

   I'm a believer in testing everything possible in my packages, and wear it it as a badge
of honor that the survival package has 4 lines of R code in the tests directory for every
3 in the R directory.  But CRAN only needs to run a small subset of this.

Terry T