[Rd] R_SVN_REVISION breakage on current R trunk.

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 31 13:26:22 CET 2012

Hi,

src/unix/Rscript.c on R trunk stopped building with a compiler error of "unknown not defined/declared" on line 160-ish, where R_SVN_REVISION is , on my system.

I see trunk r60972, trunk r60975 changes R_SVN_REVISION to a number - if it can be found, from being a string.

The thing is, I track R development with git's svn support (which IMHO works far better). So svn info cannot work out what revision it is, and it has always defaulted back to 'unknown', which is set in line 96-ish in the top-level "Makefile.in" if 'svn info' fails, which it always does on my system since I don't use svn to track R development.

I assume this problem affects anybody who manages to get a development snapshot by any means but it not sitting on a svn checkout?

May I suggest

   $(ECHO) "Revision: unknown"

on line 96-ish in the top-level "Makefile.in" be changed to 999999, 0, -1 or some number to match r60972/r60975 ?

Cheers,
Hin-Tak