[Rd] There is pmin and pmax each taking na.rm, how about psum?

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Tue Oct 30 13:36:23 CET 2012

Because that's inconsistent with pmin and pmax when two NAs are summed.

x = c(1,3,NA,NA,5)
y = c(2,NA,4,NA,1)
colSums(rbind(x, y), na.rm = TRUE)
[1] 3 3 4 0 6    # actual
[1] 3 3 4 NA 6   # desired

and it would be less convenient/natural (and slower) than a psum which
would call .Internal(psum(na.rm,...)) in the same way as pmin and pmax.