[Rd] as.data.frame.matrix() returns an invalid object

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 09:10:47 CEST 2012

On Oct 11, 2012, at 16:02 , Bert Gunter wrote:

> ... and further
>
>> identical(as.list(df2),as.list(df1))
> [1] TRUE
>
> in R 2.15.0
>
> Not sure whether these sorts of degenerate cases are of much value,
> though. But I'll leave that for the wizards.

Looks like this is easier to fix that to argue pro/con fixing it...

AFAICS, there's a gap in the logic in as.data.frame.matrix:

    if (length(row.names) != nrows)
        row.names <- .set_row_names(nrows)

but length(NULL) is 0 so we can end up leaving row.names at NULL and eventually nulling it in the result. An explicit check for is.null(row.names) should help.

-pd