[Rd] malloc error in tab-completion: OS X

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 17:34:27 CEST 2012

I've just built R-devel (r60889) from source on my Mac OS X 10.6.8
using gcc from Xcode and gfortran from Simon. I didn't use all the
recommended configuration flags only

./configure && make

Still, I seem to pass "make check" and
"make test-Segfault" in the tests directory with no problem, but the
following leads
to a persistent error + instant abort.

1) Start R
2) Type "tools::"
3) Tab to attempt to auto-complete

resulting in some variation on

mweylandt-laptop:~ michaelweylandt$ rDEVEL/bin/R --vanilla -q
> tools::R(44436) malloc: *** error for object 0x1006d8700: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.
Abort trap

at which point hitting <RET> drops me back into bash. This seems to
only occur with tools and no other packages (that I've found). It also
occurs whether tools has been library()'d or not, but sometimes it
takes two tabbings.

My compiler info follows

mweylandt-laptop:~ michaelweylandt$ gcc --version
i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)

mweylandt-laptop:~ michaelweylandt$ gfortran --version
GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)

I do think that it's only a problem with my local build, as I can't
replicate with Simon's nightly builds (http://r.research.att.com/),
which are at r60887 currently. Is there anything else I should check
with my setup? I don't see any advice on this particular issue in the
R installation manual, but I easily could have overlooked it.

Thanks,
Michael