[Rd] Minor edit to R-ints doc will be needed for R-2.15.2: axis() no longer uses .Internal()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 3 08:33:56 CEST 2012

On 02/10/2012 22:17, Josh O'Brien wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The second paragraph of Chapter 2: .Internal vs .Primitive of R-ints
> uses axis() as an example of a function that uses .Internal(). Here's
> the quote:
>
>> Functions using .Internal() wrapped in a closure are in general preferred as this ensures
>> standard handling of named and default arguments. For example, axis is defined as
>>
>> axis <- function(side, at = NULL, labels = NULL, ...)
>> .Internal(axis(side, at, labels, ...))
>
> As of R-2.15.2, though, this will no longer be true; as noted in the
> Code Migration section of R-devel NEWS file:
>
>> The C code underlying base graphics has been migrated to the graphics package
>> (and hence no longer uses .Internal() calls).
>
> So, a different example may be needed.

Not for 2.15.2 (which is not even mentioned in that file but will
include the changes for 2.15.1 patched): that section of NEWS is about
R-devel.

> (Please let me know if a message of this type is better directed
> somewhere else, or if it should wait until after some milestone in the
> development cycle.)

Yes, when R 2.16.0 is in its alpha/beta test period.  You are commenting
on a change (code migration) that is still in progress. Manuals are
reviewed once a R 2.x.0 version goes into feature-freeze.