[Rd] Protocol for setting default number of cores

Udaya B. Kogalur kogalurshear at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 22:22:15 CET 2012

We recently posted randomForestSRC on CRAN.  It uses OpenMP in the
native code extensively.  We set the default number of cores to two
(2), but we typically run it at the maximum (omp_get_max_threads())
during analysis.  Currently, users need to set options(), set an
environment variable, or edit their .Rprofile to use more than two
cores.  We followed the protocol for mc.cores in mclapply() in the
package parallel.  R CMD CHECK aside, is it acceptable to set the
default to the maximum or is this not recommended?

ubk

--
kogalurshear at gmail.com (preferred)
udaya at kogalur-shear.com

Phone:     919-824-9825
Fax:         919-890-3868
Website:  www.kogalur-shear.com

Udaya B. Kogalur, Ph.D.
Adjunct Staff, Dept of Quantitative Health Sciences, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Consultant, Kogalur Shear Corporation
6887 Idols Road, Suite B
Clemmons, NC 27012