[Rd] accented charatchers in a package manual

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 16:24:18 CET 2012

On 14/11/2012 9:22 AM, Denis Talbot wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am writing an R package manual and there is still a warning when I run "R
> CMD check" about "NON-ASCII contents without declared encoding". I do get
> the warning comes from an accent in the name of one of the author
> (Geneviève), but I can't find what I am supposed to do about it. I know
> there is a section about encoding in the "Writing R extension" manual, but
> I couldn't understand what I should do from reading it.
>
> Any help is welcomed.

You need to declare what encoding you are using.  Put a line in your
DESCRIPTION file like

Encoding:  utf-8

If you don't know what encoding you are using, you can probably find out
by reading the docs for your text editor, or just guess:  If you are on
Windows it is likely latin1, on Linux it is likely utf-8.  If you guess
wrong you'll get errors or ugly text when R produces the manual.

Duncan Murdoch