[Rd] Depends/Imports/Suggest/Enhence

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Nov 6 17:36:32 CET 2012

On Nov 6, 2012, at 11:19 AM, Christophe Genolini wrote:

> Hi the list
>
> In the DESCRIPTION file of my package foo0, I have:
>
> Depends: foo1
> Imports: foo2
> Suggest: foo3
> Enhence: foo4

(it is really "Suggests" and "Enhances" - the above are typos I presume and thus won't be recognized)

> If I understand correctly, to install foo0 on my computer, I need to already have foo1, foo2, foo3.
> foo4 is not necessary.

No, you only need foo1 and foo2. The other two are optional.

> I my R sesssion, when I will write: library(foo0), then the package foo1 will be attach. foo2, foo3
> and foo4 will not. Is that correct?

Yes

> But what is the difference between Import and Suggest?

"Imports" means that symbols are imported form the namespace, so they are mandatory for the package to operate. "Suggests" means that symbols from the package are not required, but they are used in examples or vignettes, so the listed package(s) will be needed for a full check. They are not needed for the operation of the package, though.

Cheers,
Simon