[Rd] Curry: proposed new functional programming, er, function.

Yike Lu yikelu.home at gmail.com
Wed May 23 21:53:25 CEST 2012

Hadley Wickham-2 wrote

>     Curry <- function(FUN, ...) {
>       args <- match.call(expand.dots = FALSE)$...
>       args$... <- as.name("...")
>
>       env <- parent.frame()
>
>       if (is.name(FUN)) {
>         fname <- FUN
>       } else if (is.character(FUN)) {
>         fname <- as.name(FUN)
>       } else if (is.function(FUN)){
>         fname <- as.name("FUN")
>         env$FUN <- FUN
>       } else {
>         stop("FUN not function or name of function")
>       }
>       curry_call <- as.call(c(list(fname), args))
>
>       f <- eval(call("function", as.pairlist(alist(... = )), curry_call))
>       environment(f) <- env
>     }
>
> But I've probably forgotten something else.  Hopefully Luke will chime
> in if I'm proceeding down a path that can never be made to work
> completely correctly.

I've been playing around with this for a while. One flaw I found - it
doesn't handle nested Curries very well (the naive implementation in
roxygen/functional does).

e.g.:

foo=function(x,y,z) x+y+z
Curry(Curry("foo",3),4)(3)
# 10

Curry(Curry(foo,3),4)(3)
# hangs

foo4=function(a,b,c,d)
Curry(Curry(Curry("foo4",3),4),1)(3)
# hangs

I was also curious if there was some trick to force a function eval when the
list of arguments got exhausted (for example, a triple Curry on foo above
would leave no arguments so would trigger eval into 10).