[Rd] Expected behaviour of is.unsorted?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:52:50 CEST 2012

On 12-05-23 4:37 AM, Matthew Dowle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've read ?is.unsorted and searched. Have found a few items but nothing
> close, yet. Is the following expected?
>
>> is.unsorted(data.frame(1:2))
> [1] FALSE
>> is.unsorted(data.frame(2:1))
> [1] FALSE
>> is.unsorted(data.frame(1:2,3:4))
> [1] TRUE
>> is.unsorted(data.frame(2:1,4:3))
> [1] TRUE
>
> IIUC, is.unsorted is intended for atomic vectors only (description of x in
> ?is.unsorted). Indeed the C source (src/main/sort.c) contains an error
> message "only atomic vectors can be tested to be sorted". So that is the
> error message I expected to see in all cases above, since I know that
> data.frame is not an atomic vector. But there is also this in
> ?is.unsorted: "except for atomic vectors and objects with a class (where
> the>= or>  method is used)" which I don't understand. Where>= or>  is
> used by what, and where?

If you look at the source, you will see that the basic test for classed
objects is

all(x[-1L] >= x[-length(x)])

(in the function base:::.gtn).

This comparison doesn't really makes sense for dataframes, but it does
seem to be backwards:  that tests that x[2] >= x[1], x[3] >= x[2], etc.,
returning TRUE if all comparisons are TRUE:  but that sounds like it
should be is.sorted(), not is.unsorted().  Or is it my brain that is
backwards?

Duncan Murdoch