[Rd] Best way to locate R executable from within R?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed May 23 01:37:02 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Simon Urbanek
<simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:

> On May 22, 2012, at 3:34 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Gabor Grothendieck
>> <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Then perhaps something like this which is still not 100% foolproof but
>>> should work most of the time:
>>>
>>> Find(file.exists, c(
>>>   commandArgs()[[1]],
>>>   file.path(R.home("bin"), commandArgs()[[1]]),
>>>   file.path(R.home("bin"), "R")
>>> ))
>>
>> So that the last one tried works on Windows too it should be:
>>
>> Find(file.exists, c(
>>   commandArgs()[[1]],
>>   file.path(R.home("bin"), commandArgs()[[1]]),
>>   file.path(R.home("bin"), "R"),
>>   file.path(R.home("bin"), "R.exe")
>> ))
>>

> Obviously, you don't want to do that for reasons discussed previously.

In most cases with a link the complete path would be passed in which
case the first arg of Find would be chosen and be correct. If not it
would fail through to further choices one of which would likely be
correct and if none of them are then its likely that
file.path(R.home("bin"), "R")  isn't either since that is already one
of the choices.  While its not 100% foolproof the cases where it does
not work are quite pathological whereas the cases where
file.path(R.home("bin"), "R") fails to use the same executable include
common cases such as R being called as Rterm or Rscript.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com