[Rd] f951.exe: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled

Balasubramanian Narasimhan naras at stanford.edu
Tue May 8 21:13:45 CEST 2012

The original post below refers to an issue that arose with glmnet. It
has since been fixed but the underlying problem (I believe) is a bug in
gcc/gfortran 2.6.3 toolchain.  Here is a reproducible example, test.f90.

program dblbug
   real :: x, y
   x=2
   y=exp(dble(x))
end program dblbug

Compile with gfortran -fdefault-real-8 -o test test.f90.

The program will crash on Windows but not on i386 or x86_64 linux (same
version of toolchain) but I think that says nothing.

Note: The glmnet code was originally written for single precision and
hence the flag -fdefault-real-8. The fix was to just to remove the "dble."

-Naras