[Rd] Multiple sub-architecture: linking issue

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Jun 11 03:43:46 CEST 2012

On Jun 10, 2012, at 9:24 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 8 June 2012 at 12:27, Renaud Gaujoux wrote:
> | PS: Dirk do you want me to post this on the Rcpp list for record?
>
> Yes, that generally is where Rcpp questions / comments / hints should go.
>
> As for multi-arch builds, I am not sure we even thought about supporting this so if
> it breaks your use of Rcpp and related packages, you get to keep the pieces.
> That said, I'd be interested in supporting it eventually but I guess I want
> to first understand better how/if it is supported (on Linux) by R itself.

R itself of course supports it and essentially all packages (including Rcpp ;)) have to because we require it on Windows and OS X since all binaries there are multi-lib. As far as R is concerned it works equally well on Linux - the problem there is more on the side of distributions, because it is more unusual to have multi-lib Linux (originally it was used on Linux only to get 3rd party [mostly proprietary] 32-bit binaries working on 64-bit systems and that is now less of an issue). As I said in the original post it works reasonably well on Debian (not for all libraries since only a subset is available, but all the basic ones) -- there were shakeups in Ubuntu which were messing with the multilib support, so I don't know the current status but I can check at work tomorrow (probably not for something as ancient as natty, though).

Cheers,
Simon