[Rd] rep fails on pairlist

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jul 26 22:24:39 CEST 2012

On 26 July 2012 at 15:55, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
| This code which has worked for years in R but fails under R-devel:
|
| > R.version.string
| [1] "R Under development (unstable) (2012-07-25 r59963)"
| >
| > n <- 3
| > f <- function(x) {}
| > formals(f) <- rep(formals(f), n) ##
| Error in rep(formals(f), n) : replication of pairlists is defunct
|
| The message suggests that the change was intentional.
| Why was this functionality removed?
| What code should be used in its place?

FWIW there are changes happening right now to rep() so that may be spillage
from code under development.  To keep abreast of these changes, I follow the
RSS feed Duncan set up a few years ago -- it is also as html at

   http://developer.r-project.org/blosxom.cgi/R-devel

and summarizes changes committed to the NEWS file, ie high-level changes
worth knowing about.

Dirk