[Rd] large dataset - confused

oliver oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Mon Jul 23 20:09:40 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:32:42AM -0700, walcotteric wrote:
> I'm trying to load a dataset into R, but I'm completely lost. This is
> probably due mostly to the fact that I'm a complete R newb, but it's got me
> stuck in  a research project.
[...]

Hmhh, becoming stuck in a "research project", because you are a "complete R newb"?
Strange.... what kind of working style is this?
What about first learning the tools you use?

> I've tried just opening the text file in WordPad and copying the data
> directly into R, but it's too big and causes the program to crash.
[...]

OMFG

> Any suggestions or assistance? I'm kinda desperate and lost.

Looks like this is completely caused by yourself.

Check your working style...

....and follow the hints to the docs that other people
on this list suggested to you.

There are a lot of good documentatiuons online.
Even books for R are available. Look at the library
of your "research institute"...

Ciao,
   Oliver